This is a
great little race and was well chosen as one of the Wilmslow Summer Series
races. Short fell races always seem to
exact a toll on the legs and I was determined to enjoy the hills without
killing my quads. So the tactic was to
work the up but stay sensible on the descents.
I'm clumsy over stiles so I'd have a lot to make up on the few flat
sections of canal.
1 Peak
We
gathered on the Middlewood Way viaduct above Bollington cricket field. Dark clouds loomed ominously and we'd driven
through a cloudburst on the way out. The
elements didn't look favourable for cricket or controlled descents. We were soon into the first ascent to the top
of Kerridge Hill. I've only ever run
this route in reverse and I was surprised how hard we had to work up the rough
track to the quarry before getting into the steep climb up to the ridge. I was happy enough to reach the top in about
10th which gave me a choice of lines to follow down the other side.
2 Peaks
The
diagonal traverse up to White Nancy had looked tricky on the map and really
anyone with legs of equal length had to work hard against the hill. Again I had the benefit of following the best
lines of those ahead of me and I gained ground while I could see Damian taking
a wide loop. Nancy was soon ahead and
I'd gained 2 places before we rounded the tower and plunged down the other
side. This was the descent that had
concerned me most as in the winter it had been so slippery that we'd struggled
get *up* the hill never mind down. I was
pleased to only lose one place and I soon had that back as we clattered down
tracks and alley ways into the village.
3 Peaks
Grinding
up through the streets of Bollington I was gaining on two young lads who'd sped
away from me down the hills and over the many stiles. I eased past them on the steep grassy climb
up to the Nab. Damian flew down the hill
well clear as I turned to face the final stretch to the trig point. The soft grass made for a cushioned descent
and I managed to just hold off the youngsters until the next stile. Back out on the tracks and canal I could
finally stretch out to full pace. A
strange finish involved us crashing down a small banking and popping out
through a hedge onto the edge of the cricket ground and into the funnel.
1 Pint
There was
a free pint of Bolly Best at the local brewery and a bowl of chilli, rice,
bread. At £5 entry this was arguably
better value than the parkrun :O.
Sitting around with our beer and chilli there was plenty of time to
relive our trial by 3 peaks.



No comments:
Post a Comment