I was
only aiming for a slow run this morning and stopped to take a few photos of
some favourite views in the glorious May sunshine. I even tried to record the haunting calls of
the curlews.
The
higher path from the former Moorside Hotel runs below Black Hill. I saw three curlews gliding across the moor
and a buzzard hung on the thermals high above.
The views to the right are amazing right across the valley and up the
successive ridges of Windgather, Pym Chair, Cat's Tor and Shining Tor. The track contours around before heading down
to the road where I picked up the path down to Furness Vale.
Joining
the canal I followed the towpath then cut off down towards New Mills and the
Torrs. Just after crossing the Goyt
there is a farm that keeps a number of llamas.
The first time I passed here slightly light headed after a fast section,
I thought my mind was going but now they seem part of the scenery. I followed the river path down to the Torrs
where great stone bridges and viaducts appear to grow out of the living rock as
they reach across the gorge that hides in the centre of New Mills. It's such an unexpectedly dramatic place of
cliffs, torrents, shattered mill buildings and clinging trees. The Millennium Walkway continues the theme
providing an exciting bouncy run above the river.
From New
Mills I rejoined the canal to Disley, crossed the A6 and climbed up Red Lane
before dropping back down into Lyme Park.





.jpg)





No comments:
Post a Comment