Amazingly
it is 6 years and over 300 runs since the first 5k race round the park. Race?
Well it was then and it still is today.
But only for those who want to race.
Against themselves, against their time and for a bit of fun against
their mates and rivals. Today Gareth and
Steve chased me hard round 1.5 laps before I finally got a small gap - and left
them to race each other in to the finish.
After
barcode scanning through the busy bulge of runners around 25 minutes I jogged
up to the café for the birthday presentations.
It's become part of the tradition to give a little speech and it is good
to thank the team who make it all happen week after week. The league winners have shown some impressive
commitment too, running just about every week to make the podium. Thanks to Janine I have large chocolate bars
to present to the juniors much to their delight.
In the
beginning I thought that this would be a fun weekly race-pace workout with a
dozen or more local club runners. But
almost immediately it became a community event for local families. Race or run?
Exercise or social? It's whatever
you want it to be on the day - you can even change your mind half way round.


No comments:
Post a Comment