From one
iconic race to another. Rivington Pike
has some claim to be the oldest fell race and on a sunny day it seemed like
half the town were out to spectate. The
rest were in the pub at the start / finish.
The pike looms high, very high above Horwich. The race is straight up and down no
messing. It really doesn't look likely
that the faster runners will be up and back to the pub in well under 20
minutes.
Ellen and
I lined up for the start still buzzing with the excitement of Juliet's U16 race
where she'd sprinted down the hill for an unlikely 2nd place. I knew that I wasn't recovered from the
marathon so I started very steadily up the road monitoring carefully how my
legs were coping.
As the
gradient steepened I felt surprisingly good and I picked my way gradually
through the field. I continued to jog up
the final grassy slope grinding past the first woman and Richard Marlton (Stockport).
The leaders came flying down the hill followed by Damian while I trotted
on up around the tower and into the descent.
I knew that I had to be careful here with my brittle marathon legs. A few hard core fell runners bounced past at
literally break neck speed but I caught them all up when we reached safer
ground.
Back on
the road I started to close down a few more but by now my legs were reminding
me about the quality time we'd spent on the Embankment last weekend and I had
an easy float in to the finish.
Damian
had a fine run for 10th, his best ever placing here but just out of the
prizes. Ellen was 12th woman / 4th u18
after finding the summit hill tough and taking a tumble on the descent. Andy Dodd had doubled up by doing Bramhall
parkrun which might have given him an excuse for being outrun by a guy running
in an inflated Sumo suit. I'd run well
enough but outside the top 20 and soundly beaten by a Kendall v50. Doddy was subdued and sub Sumo. Starving hungry we'd have all enjoyed the
solace of a large burger at this point but the pub was so rammed that even a
bag of nuts was beyond our reach.
Rob

No comments:
Post a Comment