Friday, 25 April 2014

Mobberley "Round The Runway"

Check In
This is a great little race organised by the "evergreen" Malcolm Fowler that makes use of the trails and dead end roads that were a side effect of Manchester airport's long disputed but eventually built anyway second runway.  Remember Swampy?

I was helping on registration with entries on the night and between us we managed to issue over 200 numbers to add to a similar number of pre-entries and raise over £2000 for an Alzheimers charity.  It was hectic but we managed a sort of system that got everyone signed in by 7.30pm.

Take Off
After a few warm up strides I joined the waiting pack and we were off racing up the lanes.  The pace was steady and I slotted into the leading group that included Damian, Steve Watson (Buxton) and a whole bunch of eager Sale Harriers.  On to the stony trails Damian started to push the pace and the group were stretched out by the second road section.  The race takes an almost surreal turn as the trail appears to be leading out on to the runway apron.  Surely we're not allowed out here.  In fact there is a fence hidden in the ditch but you don't notice this as large jets race past while the trail bobbles along.  A steep descent took us into the vast Bollin Tunnel and directly under the runway.  I was now in 4th trying to hang on to a couple of the Sale guys with Damian 100m clear in front.

Bumpy Landing
The climb back up to runway level was hard on my marathon legs and by the top I was losing the fight for my favourite position, 4th.  I held on across the fields and back on to the roads and we were making up ground on the leaders.  Into the last 400m I was down to 5th and lost another place almost on the line.


A pint in the evening sunshine felt well deserved after a hard race.  

No comments:

Post a Comment